Export to Word with PDFpen and PDFpenPro. With PDFpenPro, you can also export PDF to Microsoft® Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF/A format.
A couple things are required for this to work.
- Export is only available to registered users of PDFpen and PDFpenPro due to licensing limitations.
- You can export to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF/A quickly and locally, no Internet connection required.
- Export to Word requires at least PDFpen or PDFpenPro 6 on OS X 10.7. Export to Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF/A require at least PDFpenPro 7 on OS X 10.10. Export to Word and Excel while offline requires version 8 in OS X 10.10 and later.
For examples demonstrating the results of the export process, please use the links below. Find each sample document in PDF format and in the resulting format.
Steps to export a PDF:
- Open the PDF you would like to convert and choose File > Export…
- An Export to: dialog will open. Select a type of document, Word 2007 (DOCX), Excel 2007 (XLSX), PowerPoint 2007 (PPTX), or Normal PDF/A-1b.
- Click Export. Depending on the size of the PDF this may take a moment. The dialog will change to show a progress bar along with the amount of time elapsed since the conversion started, and the estimated amount of time the conversion will take.
- Once the conversion is finished a Save dialog appears. Choose where on your hard drive to save this new document. Open After Saving is checked by default. Find this at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click Save to finish.
For Best Results: Excel
Exporting to Microsoft® Excel format is intended for PDFs which consist exclusively of spreadsheet-like data, namely rows and columns of text or numbers. If you have a mixed PDF document, you may find it best to select the spreadsheet pages, choose File -> New -> From Selection, save your new document, then export in Excel format, rather than trying to export the entire PDF in Excel format. Note that each page will appear as a separate sheet in the resulting Excel file.
For Best Results: PowerPoint
Exporting to Microsoft® PowerPoint format is intended for PDFs from presentations or to be incorporated into presentations. These pages are expected to be landscape-oriented pages with a few large type items and a background color or image.
Why can’t I demo PDF export?
PDFpen provides export via a third party service we license. The terms of our license limit access to the service to paid users. If you’d like to see some examples of exports, please see the above section Sample Documents.
What if I want to export to Pages, Numbers, or Keynote instead of a Microsoft format?
Export your document, then open it in Apple’s app. Keep in mind that not all Word formatting is supported in Pages, and the same goes for Numbers and Keynote.
What is PDF/A format?
PDF Archive format is a standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF) designed for long-term archiving of PDF documents. It’s frequently used by libraries, the legal profession, courts, governments, and other entities concerned with the long-term viability of electronic documents. A document saved in PDF/A format will not typically appear any differently than the original PDF. Learn more on Wikipedia.
If you have any other questions, please let us know.